2017 was an interesting year for music. Sure, major bands made a comeback, At the Drive-In drowned in a sea of their own legacy and the less said about the new self-titled AFI album the better. But overall, it was a year dominated by smaller bands who took the downtime from our scenes biggest and brightest to propel themselves into the limelight and hopefully into better things in 2018.
It goes without saying it was also a troubling time with regards to ongoing sexual abuse allegations towards bands within our scene. I would like to take this moment to thank these victims for coming forward and telling their stories to the world.
Your strength has touched me and many others on a profound level.
Top 20 Albums of 2017
1. Code Orange – Forever
This album is the definition of art. Taking everything from their previous release and turning it into an even more jarring mixture of electronic passages, hardcore and spoken word. It can only be described as one of the most beautifully uncomfortable experiences you will have this year.
2. Converge – The Dusk In Us
What to say other than it’s fucking Converge? Jacob Bannon and his merry band of hardcore superstars have been twisting and shaping this genre for the last two decades and this album finds them at the top of their game with one of their most emotional albums in a long time.
3. Pallbearer – Heartless
4. Grave Pleasures – Motherblood
5. Marilyn Manson – Heaven Upside Down
6. Trivium – The Sin and the Sentence
7. Der Weg Einer Freiheit – Finisterre
8. SikTh – The Future in Whose Eyes?
9. King Woman – Created in the Image Of Suffering
10. Blood Command – Cult Drugs
11. While She Sleeps – You Are We
12. Godflesh – Post Self
13. Wolves In The Throne Room – Thrice Wove
14. Chelsea Wolfe – Hiss Spun
15. Kendrick Lamar – Damn
16. Mastodon – Emperor of Sand
17. Creeper – Eternity, In Your Arms
18. Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes – Modern Ruin
19. Amenra – Mass VI
20. Wintersun – The Forest Seasons
Top 10 Songs of 2017
1. Kendrick Lamar – ‘Humble‘
2. Rolo Tomassi – ‘Rituals’
3. Watain – ‘Chemical Holocaust’
4. Conjurer – ‘Mire’
5. Weezer – ‘The Beach Boys’
6. Myrkur – ‘Måneblôt’
7. Bjork – ‘Future Forever’
8. The Bloody Beetroots feat. Jason Aalon Butler – ‘Crash’
9. Endur – ‘White Noise’
10. Nine Inch Nails – ‘The Background World’
Top 5 Music Videos of 2017
1. Inheaven – ‘Treats’
2. Rolo Tomassi – ‘Balance The Dark‘
3. The Used – ‘Over and Over Again‘
4. The Killers – ‘The Man‘
5. PVRIS – ‘What’s Wrong’
Top 5 Gigs of 2017
3. Wednesday 13 – March 23rd @ The Brightside, Bris (Gig Review Here)
Next Big Australian Act of 2018?
I’m honestly placing all my bets for Cursed Earth to drop one of the most devastatingly epic albums of the year. Their current EP’s are just the floodgates opening, but their full length is going to kill everybody.
What Am I Most Looking Forward To In 2018?
Oh man, 2018 is going to be another great year for music. Behemoth is going to drop an album heavy enough to split the world, meanwhile we’ve got Youth Code, another Nine Inch Nails EP, A Perfect Circle and even Dimmu Borgir are rumoured to drop an album. So it’s looking to be another great year and hey, even Tool might release an album? When hell freezes over.