2017 has been a bitch of a year personally, but on the photography side of things I got to tick off my Top 2 Bucket List items of shooting Green Day and AFI thanks to Wall Of Sound (apparently I wanted the AFI pass more than the Green Day pass because I emailed the promoter myself trying to get one not realising WoS had. I wish I showed that kind of motivation with house cleaning), which while awesome, made returning to the local scene anti climatic and I pretty much let them know so. Nothing impresses your mates more than saying “I got to shoot AFI last week and now this just seems really boring and I don’t want to be here”. I’ve gone a bit Kimye this year and somehow I still have friends. I think. Actually, most of them are pretty quiet these days… Shooting AFI though has only made me more adamant that I want to tour with a band, documenting everything. Preferably them but I guess I’m going to be waiting a while for them to come back so I need to practice in the meantime. Does anyone know how to get a sponsorship with Virgin Airlines? I mean out of all the airlines, at least we know Richard Branson likes music! To be honest that’s all I remember about 2017. Spine appointments and AFI. Bring on 2018. Here’s my Wall of Sound 2017 Year In Review…
Top 10 Albums of 2017
1. AFI – Blood Album
2. Scalphunter – LIES
3. Blackwitch – Sealed In Blood
4. The Birthday Massacre – Under Your Spell
5. Paramore – After Laughter
6. Clowns – Lucid Again
7. Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes – Modern Ruin
8. Dreamcar – Dreamcar
9. Bare Bones – Bad Habits
10. Jerkbeast – Wasted Daze
Top 10 Songs of 2017
1. AFI – ‘White Offerings’
2. Pale Waves – ‘Television Romance’
3. Paramore – ‘Caught In The Middle’
4. Clowns – ‘Pickle’
5. Gyroscope – ‘Crooked Thought’
6. Nerdlinger – ‘The Ballad Of Rod Lightning’
7. The Bob Gordons – ‘Magic Glove’
8. Lionizer – ‘Violent Delights’
9. DMA’s – ‘Dawning’
10. The Horrors – ‘Something To Remember Me By’
Top 5 Music Videos of 2017
1. The Bob Gordons – ‘(Would It Be Different If My) Girlfriend (Liked My Band?)‘
Am I seriously only meant to pick one? Fine. I chose the one that I’m in for like two seconds…
Oh wait I can pick 5…
2. Dreamcar – ‘Kill For Candy‘
I like how this is filmed. I expect to see Go Pro’s on everyone for the angles they’re achieving yet they seem to be camera-less. MIND BLOWN!
3. AFI – ‘Hidden Knives‘
It should be noted I almost picked ‘Aurelia‘ because there’s many closes up of facial parts but this video is an actual video clip and not something that has you sitting there for 3 minutes wondering what the fuck is going on or that you might be getting hypnotized or feeling like Davey needs a hug. Though I’m more than ok with the latter.
4. Scalphunter – ‘Men With Square Eyes‘
It’s Scalphunter. They don’t need things said about them.
5. Clowns – ‘Pickle‘
BEST GIG YOU’VE SEEN 2017?
1. AFI September 14th @ Metro City – Hands down concert of the year. There were feels, there was nostalgia (like I lost my shit when they played ‘Days Of The Phoenix‘), and we died laughing while Davey Havok explained his hatred of the drum risers on stage (Photo Gallery Here). [Video filmed by Tonii McDonald]
2. Green Day April 30th @ Perth Arena – #1 of my Bucket List is now ticked off but thanks to fellow music photographer Daniel Bedford I got to see the entire show. Best dude ever! (Review & Gallery Here)
3. Punktoberfest October 7th @ The Boston – Nothing beats 8 hours of being amongst amazing local and national punk bands in Perth. It’s one of those events we wished we had more often, but also glad we don’t because it takes a while to recover. (Review & Gallery Here)
4. Descendents February 17th @ Capitol – Mostly for Clowns. Don’t get me wrong Descendents were great, but Stevie dominated Capitol! I’ve never seen anyone jump off the stage and just use up the floor space like that. That guys owns the room. (Review & Gallery Here)
5. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes October 12th @ Capitol – I’ve never had a makeup compact thrown at me before. The photo pit was dangerous for different reasons that night. The upside was we got to be in the photo put all night. Best seat in the house! (Gallery Here)
NEXT BIG BAND TO WATCH IN 2018?
Fuck knows. If I had my way: The Bob Gordons, Them Sharks, The Donald Trumpets (seriously they should be just for the name alone!), Two For Flinching… I’m probably forgetting someone else I’m mates with but they all are awesome lives act that should be getting a shit tonne more love than they are.
WHAT ARE YOU MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO IN 2018?
I look forward to Rammstein announcing their Australian tour and not coming to Perth. I also look forward to Scalphunter taking another 10 years to record an album.
Chip in a buck or two for the WoS crew!
Want to help Wall of Sound grow and deliver more killer content? Support us by chipping in as little as a dollar to help!