Upon reflection, I have realised just how incredible and unforgettable my first year at Wall Of Sound has been. I’ve had the opportunity to interview some incredible bands such as Kublai Khan, Stray From The Path, Alpha Wolf, Saviour, Hellions, In Hearts Wake, Hand Of Mercy (RIP) and more (revisit our UNIFY Gathering podcast here).
I’ve found that writing for Wall Of Sound has forced me to become more involved with the heavy music scene in Australia and as a result, I have discovered some incredible talent in the process, which I’m extremely grateful for. I’m looking forward to further developing my skills as a writer for Wall Of Sound in 2020…
Top 10 Albums of 2019
1. Knocked Loose – A Different Shade Of Blue
2. Gravemind – Conduit
3. Dealer – Soul Burn EP
4. Diamond Construct – Diamond Construct
5. Thornhill – The Dark Pool
6. Thy Art Is Murder – Human Target
7. Void Of Vision – Hyperdaze
8. Kublai Khan – Absolute
9. Windwaker – Empire EP
10. Counterparts – Nothing Left To Love
Top 10 Songs of 2019
1. Gravemind – ‘Phantom Pain’
2. Knocked Loose – ‘…And Still I Wander South’
3. Counterparts – ‘Love Me’
4. Dealer – ‘Melancholy Oxidase’
5. Aburden – ‘Farewell’
6. Alpha Wolf – ‘Sub-Zero’
7. Thornhill – ‘Nurture’
8. The Gloom In The Corner – ‘Survivors Guilt’
9. Diamond Construct – ‘Night Terrors’
10. Cursed Earth – ‘Rock Bottom’
Top 5 Music Videos of 2019
1. Mirrors – ‘Damien’
2. Polaris – ‘Masochist’
3. Gravemind – ‘Volgin’
4. Northlane – ‘Eclipse’
5. Dealer – ‘Pretty Stupid’
Top 12 Gigs of 2019
- Hand Of Mercy @ UNIFY Gathering – An incredible reunion set from a band that really helped shape my music tastes into what they are today. I must admit, watching them was an emotional experience for me as I won’t get to see them play again!
- Chelsea Grin – 27th June @ The Corner Hotel, Melbourne
- Thy Art Is Murder – July 13th@ The Corner Hotel, Melbourne
- Greyscale Records Showcase – August 10th @ The Corner Hotel, Melbourne
- Justice For The Damned – 2nd November @ The Workers Club, Melbourne
- Good Things Festival – 6th December @ Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne
- Download Festival – 11th March @ Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne
- Northlane – 2nd August @ Yah Yah’s, Melbourne
- Confession – 22nd March @ Stay Gold, Melbourne
- Bring Me The Horizon – 13th April @ Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne
- Architects – 11th August @ Festival Hall, Melbourne
- August Burns Red – 11th October @ 170 Russell, Melbourne
Favourite Bands You Have Discovered in 2019?
Daybreak – I stumbled upon this band when they supported Alpha Wolf on the nationwide Fault tour. I was in awe as I watched them perform and I have followed them closely ever since.
Outloved – This band is a talented act from rural victoria and they haven’t been around long at all. Sitting outside of my usual genres as a rock band, I was blown away when they recently supported Ocean Sleeper in Melbourne.
Dealer – Is there really a need for introductions with this group? They gathered momentum quickly with their debut single ‘Crooked’ and have taken over the Australian heavy music scene by storm. Having only ever played to sold-out crowds, their energetic shows are renowned for turning venues into slaughterhouses.
Next Big Australian Bands?
Dealer and Gravemind
What Are You Looking Forward To The Most In 2020?
I’m super excited about seeing The Ghost Inside at UNIFY Gathering and The Red Shore at Invasion Fest (Thank you Ash Hull!!). Also the arrival of new albums from Saviour, A Day To Remember, Polaris, Violent Soho, Pridelands, Alpha Wolf, Trophy Eyes, The Ghost Inside and more. I have an ever-lasting hunger for new music so my fingers are crossed that the influx of new and exciting bands doesn’t slow down. Also, seeing as band reunions are in fashion at the moment I hope that big things keep eventuating in that regard.
Words by Adam Rice @adamrice1994
Chip in a buck or two for the WoS crew!
Want to help Wall of Sound grow and deliver more killer content? Support us by chipping in as little as a dollar to help!