2018 was the year I turned the big 3-0, and it was also the year I managed to do all of my favourite things in life – travel, music festivals and snowboarding, all without quitting my day job (a major win for me)! April saw me seeing Simple Plan in Australia for the first time in 5 years in Newcastle, Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast (BTW – Nightquarter wins my 2018 Best Venue Ever Award).
Fast forward 2 months, and I’m flying over to the USA for the west coast leg of the final Vans Warped Tour which started ON MY 30TH BIRTHDAY, LA all the way to Denver, Colorado – Simple Plan being on Warped may have been a factor in me attending. 2018 officially brings my SP show count to 21 (2004-2018).
Post-Warped, I spent my weekends away from Sydney snowboarding down in Perisher, finishing up my first part-time snow season by working at Snowtunes music festival. Come September, I took up a gig through work and ventured up to the Top End of Australia before making the gig permanent in October! Last but not least, we cannot forget my favourite Sydney band, Heroes For Hire reuniting for one last tour just in time for Christmas, which rounds out my…
Top 5 Gigs of 2018
1. Vans Warped Tour – 22nd June, San Diego, California, USA
2. Simple Plan – 21st April, Nightquarter, Gold Coast, QLD
3. Limp Bizkit – 25th March, Hordern Pavilion, Sydney, NSW
4. Good Charlotte – 26th March, Hordern Pavilion, Sydney, NSW
5. Heroes For Hire X AM//PM – 22nd December, Crowbar Brisbane, QLD
(Review & Gallery Here)
TOP 5 ALBUMS of 2018?
1. State Champs – Living Proof
2. Between You and Me – Everything is Temporary
3. The Story So Far – Proper Dose
4. Stand Atlantic – Skinny Dipping
5. The Amity Affliction – Misery
TOP 5 SONGS of 2018?
1. ‘Dead and Gone’ – State Champs
2. ‘Lavender Bones’ – Stand Atlantic
3. ‘Reasons’ – The Bottom Line
4. ‘California Stoned’ – Assuming We Survive
5. ‘High Hopes’ – Panic! at the Disco
FAV BAND DISCOVERED IN 2018?
STATESIDE (Brisbane, QLD)
Discovered these guys (and gal!) on the Simple Plan tour in April and have followed them on social media ever since. They’re super talented and have been growing momentum all year. From touring with Simple Plan, Neck Deep, Good Things Festival, Stateside are only just getting started! I’m expecting them to get even bigger and better in 2019!
MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO IN 2019?
2019 may not see me travel as much for music and snow as I’d like to (hello adulting and family stuff), but if there’s one band I’m willing to travel for next year it is SET IT OFF, who will hopefully finally make it out to Australia next year.
Written by Tamara May @citylightsTAM